Re: something interesting I didn't know

>       Here's another interesting cassowary fact. It was thought
> for a long time that the bony crest on their heads acted like a
> crash helmet for running through dense vegetation, but apparently
> the crest is quite fragile and often breaks (only to regrow).
> Therefore display may be its primary function. Could the cassowary
> provide a modern analogue for the crested oviraptors?

If Oviraptor crests were susceptible to breaking off (and then
growing back) as in cassowarys, would that explain the great variety
seen in Oviraptor skulls?  It seems likely that if the crest is
broken, it won't grow back in the right shape.  Of course, it _is_
bone, so I don't know if it's possible for it to regrow.  Any ideas?
Chris Straughn

Visit my homepage at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1868

Bovoj estas viaj amikoj.