Re: GARGANTUAVIS AND ORNITHOMIMOSAURS IN FRANCE

Tetanurae wrote:

> Jeff Hecht wrote:
> <<It's worth noting that southern France and Iberia at that point were an
> island, probably somewhat larger than Madagascar. Buffetaut thinks
> Gargantuavis occupied a niche similar to the "ostrich dinosaurs" which lived
> on the major continents at the time, but were not present in France.>>
>
> That assertation seems somewhat strange, seeing as the most basal
> ornithomimosaur (_Pelecanimimus polyodon_) is known from Iberia (though about
> 50 million years older), and these animals presumably had to walk through
> France either one way or the other because all other ornithomimosaurs are
> known from Asia and North America...
><SNIP>

I was under the inpression that there were some African remains as
well, not to mention the Australian material (if not Timimus, then
the ornithomimid claw found at the Flat Rocks site in SE Australia
a couple of years ago, 115 MYA).
        Also given the (supposed) ceratopsian ulna from the same area
(106-115 MYA), the (supposed?) placental mammal remains (also from Flat
Rocks, 115 MYA), and caenagnathid remains from nearbye (106 MYA, Dino
Cove), there may be evidence (note I did not say GOOD evidence)
for Gondwanan origins for these groups as well.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions:
        Australian Dinosaurs: