From: Mike Everhart <mjever@southwind.net>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Calculating Speed from Tracks

All,

I recently got an interesting paleo question that I really don't have
the resources to answer and was wondering if someone would care to help.
We can discuss it on line or you can email direct to me at:

                    mjever@southwind.net

"I'm a 5th. grade teacher. We've established a 15 x 20 ft. recreation of
a river bed complete with the tracks of Keyentapus, Anomoepus,
Acrocanthosaurus, and Anchisauripus. These tracks were made from latex
molds of the original tracks. I'm currently developing lessons for our
students. I would like to know how the approximate speed of an animal is
calculated from its tracks.  Also, my 5th. grade daughter is doing a
science fair project testing Alexander's theory relating track size to
hip height, (length of track times 4 = approximate hip height). Any info
on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Gary"

I'll pass along all responses.  Thanks for your help,

Mike Everhart (email mjever@southwind.net)
Oceans of Kansas Paleontology
< http://www2.southwind.net/~mjever >