Re: individual age

At 12:39 PM 1/14/98 -0600, Jonathan R. Wagner wrote:
>        I am not positive, but haven't LAGs been observed in
>endotherms which either hibernate or endure harsh seasonality as
>well?

This is my understanding as well.  (I can't say it is really surprising -
true deep hibernators pretty much turn off metabolism all winter).

>        All of this is complicated by the fact that those animals
>showing
>lines of arrested growth (LAGs) exhibit reworking of the bone which
>would
>have exhibited LAGs developed early in life (see the bone histology
>material
>in _The Complete Dinosaurs_ for a nice general overview).

Which means that all one can get from LAG's is *minimum* age, not actual
age, even if they are annual.  (I suspect they probably are annual).

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com