Re: Complete Dinosaur Mamenchisaur question

>>I just received The Complete Dinosaur today, and noted that the
>>Sauropods chapter features several depictions of Mamenchisaurus
>>holding its neck up. I understood that the evidence that M. held its
>>neck straight out is quite strong. I haven't read the book yet, of
>>course, but am curious to see if the neck posture of M. is
>>controversial.
>
>There is only one *Mamenchisaurus* illustration (Greg Paul's) in that
>book. The other dinosaur in similar position was *Euhelopus* (the less
>compelte illustration), Mamenchi's direct ancestor. A study recently,
>about 1995/6, had structural engineers study *Mamemchi- saurus'* neck
>see how far it could bend when it had 4 meter long cervical struts
>locking its neck nearly strait. This study, which I believe was on the
>show NOVA, showed that the neck could bend a total of about 20° to the
>side, and nearly vertical at the base of the neck, while the individual
>bones could only flex the neck upward to about 10°, much less than in
>any other sauropod. I may have some of the refs wrong, but I'm pretty
>sure this is correct. *Euhelopus*, via the article in _Discover_ (Nov,
>1997), the much-discussed one that mentioned tail-whips by Mhyrvold,
>could side-to-side flex his neck to a much greater degree, almost
>touching his ribs with his nose. The verticle flex was not mentioned,
>and neither was the tilt at the base, so I wouldn't really know that
>without seeing the fossils themselves.

      As for the name of the show, it was _ Hunting the Dragon _.

>And speaking of which, has anyone seen "The Relic"? It features in the
>museum a sauropod skeleton that appears to be *Euhelopus* to me.

      Interesting. The museum where they filmed that was the Field
Museum of Natural History in Chicago and the sauropod you see there is
their Brachiosaurus. Interesting that you came to that conclusion given
the differences seen in the two animals ( elongate vs. short cervical
ribs, number of cervicals, forelimb proportions,etc.)

 WMattTroutman