Re: If Dinosaurs Could Fly

There's an important thing to remember in looking at Protarchaeopteryx and
Sinosauropteryx: the fossils we have are 20-30 million years _later_ than
Archaeopteryx. It's possible these are ancestral forms that survived that
long. It's also possible that -- at least in Protarchaeopteryx -- we're
seeing descendants flighted birds that became secondarily flightless. This
complicates the question of where the down came from. -- Jeff Hecht