New Refs #9

Ok folks, some new ones, including ones mentioned elsewhere...

Hunter, John P. 1998. Key innovations and the ecology of macro-
   evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 13(1):31-36.

Nice discussion of key innovations including some discussion
of the origin of birds, discussing Gatesy's work in that part.

In the same issue Michael S.Y. Lee has a note on ancestors
and taxonomy (pg. 26) specifically talking about the
implications of node-based, apomorphy-based and stem-
based clades. Would be nice addition to Tom Holtz's great
chapter in The Complete Dinosaur which was handily
complimentary to the section on phylogenetic reconstruction
in my chapter.

Speaking of Mike Lee, another huge tome on everything you
always wanted to know about pareiasaurs but were afraid to
ask. Too big for assimilation right now but seems like a nice
piece of work, not surprising considering some of his colleagues
at Cambridge.

Lee, Michael S.Y. 1997. A taxonomic revision of pareiasaurian
   reptiles: implications for Permian terrestrial palaeoecology.
   Modern Geology, 21:231-298.

He reduces the described 49 taxa to to 17 and adds 2 new ones.
He cans the rhipaeosaurids as a garbage can group, notes that
their taxonomy has been over-inflated which implied, improperly,
that they had an unusual community structure. He also notes 2
major extinction events during the Upper Permian. Nice work.

In that same issue el senor Lee has a short review of Thomason's
edited volume Functional Morphology in Vertebrate Paleontology,
one of the best books published lately, which he concurs with me on.

Next from that issue as well there is the paper by Axsmith, et al. on
Fraxinopsis from the Upper Triassic of near the N.C./VA border that
generated some questions. This material is from the lagerstatten quarry
that Nicholas Fraser is mining out these days (Solite Quarry) which
has really neat stuff, especially arthropods. Looks real to me.

We will end up with a detailed discussion of the taphonomy of fish in
the Cretaceous Santana formation that occur at a high oblique angle
to the substrate. Implies real soupy sediments at the time. Fish
appraently at death take a header into the soup.

Martill, D.M. 1997. Fish oblique to bedding in early diagenetic
   Concretions from the Cretaceous Santana Formation of Brazil -
   Implications for substrate consistency. Palaeontology,
40(4):1011-1026.

Reminds me of vertically-imbedded cephalopods in the record which can,
with a lot of work and luck, be used to infer very tight ranges of depth
of the substrate. Otherwise the ceph would be on its side. Neat stuff
though.

Well, TTFN, Ralph Chapman.