Date: 1/20/98 5:46 AM
To: David Krentz
From: th81@umail.umd.edu
At 05:05 PM 1/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Subject: Gorgo fingers                                       5:56 PM
>1/16/98
>
>  On a few mounts of Gorgosaurus Libratus, I've noticed the long ignored
>digit III.   It was noted in Lambe's 1914 paper, but I rarely see it
>illustrated.  Would it be visible?  The arm cast I have shows that it is
>quite prominent.  Is there any evidence to suggest that this is not supposed

>to be there?  If the greatly reduced finger is indeed on this animal and not

>on Albertosaurus ( as far as I know of) than is that another good reason to
>separate the two into different families.  What does it say about
Tyrannosaur
>lineage?

That's metacarpal III, not digit III.  That is, there was no finger on it.

Jurassic Park's mutant raptors notwithstanding, the metacarpals would all be
enclosed together within a fleshy palm, as they are in all amniote.  At most
there would be a slight enlargement at the spot, but no more than that.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661