Re: If Dinosaurs Could Fly

In a message dated 98-01-20 09:02:56 EST, th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

<< I don't see why people keep on insisting Protarchaeopteryx is a bird.  From
 what little I've seen of it (photographs and the original paper), there is
 nothing in its skeletal anatomy to suggest it is more closely related to
 birds than are dromaeosaurs or Ornitholestes. >>

Absolutely agree. Photo in Scientific American (Feb 1998) and figures in
original article make it out to be some kind of small theropod. Decent feather
impressions notwithstanding.