Re: If Dinosaurs Could Fly

At 10:42 AM 1/20/98 +1300, Derek Tearne wrote:
>Down feathers are extremely good insulators.  This doesn't mean that
>a less perfect insulator may not have evolved for that purpose.
>
>Kiwi feathers are pretty good insulators even though they are not
>'downy' at all, more like long thick hairs with a bad case of split
>ends than down.  Animal hairs serve well as insulation without the
>need for them to be fluffy like down.  Perhaps the original proto
>feather was indeed some kind of thick hair used for insulation.

That's what I thought...I thought the protobirds had evolved
"feather-scales" (to use John McLoughlin's term) as insulation
long before they had become true feathers for flight (and better
insulation)...

                             -- Dave

Dave Hardenbrook, E-Mail: DaveH47@delphi.com
 Computer Programmer, Honorary Citizen of the Land of Oz,
 and Editor of "The Ozzy Digest" (The _Wizard of Oz_ online
 fan club)

  "When we are young we read and believe
   The most Fantastic Things...
   When we grow older and wiser