Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny: the movie

Should anyone be especially interested in this subject, the documentary
miniseries, _The Odyssey of Life_, features Lennart Nilsson's astonishing
time lapse/morphing of the fetal development of a human, a chicken, a pig,
and a fish.  You view not only a time lapse/morphing of each, but also a
split screen shot of the four developing all at once.  Computer graphic
morphing techniques blend the various stages into one smooth time lapse
sequence for each.  Individual details are examined as well, and the
development of a human fetus is compared to that of a chimpanzee.  All in
all, it's a remarkable film.

Other sequences document the microscopic life forms which live on human
bodies and those tiny creatures which infest museum collections!  There is
also a lengthy profile of the filmmaker, Lennart Nilsson, which shows how
he photographs his diminutive subjects.

You can probably obtain a VHS copy of this documentary miniseries from PBS
Video at (800) 328-7271.  And no, I have no affiliation with any of these
people.

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>

I have made some minor errors in recent posts; sorry about that.  I'll try
harder next time.  "To err is human; to forgive, divine."