Re: Respiratory Turbinals

----------
> From: Seth Ellestad <se1aard@itis.com>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Respiratory Turbinals
> Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998 5:12 PM
>
> >Is it possible that dinosaurs had some sort of pre-turbinal that did not
> >fossilize, but facilitated a higher metabolism? Have mercy if this has
> >already been answered somewhere- I am but a neophyte(um... I believe
that
> >is how it is spelled.).
> >                                                      BHR
>
> In a similar vein, I always thought that the nasal turbinals were mainly
> there to increase schnozz area so that there was more room to pack in
> olfactory receptors, other benefits being incidental.  Jes-no?
>
> Seth A. Ellestad.

There  are two different kinds of turbinals( looked it up after i sent that
last e-mail)- one type, present in both ecto- & endotherms, which
facilitate increased olfactory ability, and another type, evidently present
only in endotherms, that is designed to prevent moisture loss etc...
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

                                                                BHR