Re: Anything new on Deinocheirus

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Jonathon Woolf wrote:

> Last I heard, a couple of years ago, _Deinocheirus_ was a complete
> mystery.  Dinosaur yes, theropod yes, but beyond that nobody seemed to
> even want to speculate where it fit into dinotaxonomy.  The only book I
> have that does speculate on it is Sattler's "New Illustrated Dinosaur
> Dictionary" (1990), which says that it and _Therizinosaurus_ both
> belonged to a family called the Deinocheiridae.
Sharing the trait of enormous arms? Excellent character choice...

> But more recent books seem to take the therizinosaurs and move them off
> somewhere else entirely.
>
> Is anything more at all known about _Deinocheirus_?  More material?  A
> better classification?

Every classification I've ever seen (aside from the ones putting it with
_Therizinosaurus_) places it in Ornithomimosauria. On my ages I have it as
a huge ornithomimoid of some kind.

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages