Re: If Dinosaurs Could Fly

>What do downy penguin chicks do to survive the cold other than eat a
>lot, sit on cold rocks, and huddle under wet parents?
>
>-Betty Cunningham

      Basically nothing. First of all the parent penguins are not wet (
the parent fasts for 1-5 months and stays out of water.) I read a book
once that stated that a baby penguin cannot go into water until it is a
certain size and age ( small objects and downy feathers as single
insulation are not good bedfellows.) Baby penguins of at least the
emperor penguin type huddle into a flap of skin that is stratigically
located in a "pile" of down feathers. Their parents stay out of the
water the baby ( when it is time to good to another parent) makes a
quick dash for it so it will not freeze, and that is what a baby penguin
does.

      Many people have emailed me on and off list stating that down is
not maladaptive. I agree, but when it is wet conditions it is. A
penguins' flippers are excellent for swimming, but when it comes for
defence or anything else ( besides sliding on their bellies) they can be
considered maladaptive in that >certain< respect. So in summary; down is
good insulation in certain conditions and especially when covered by
other feathers but as a single insulators in wet conditions it is not
good at all.

 WMattTroutman