Re: LAGS (was feathers, fibers, endothermy...)

At 08:14 AM 1/24/98 +1100, Dann Pigdon wrote:
>       Wouldn't extreme seasonal changes also create LAGS? During
>the dry seasons in Africa those lions tend to look pretty scrawny,
>as do many of the herbivores.

I doubt that is enough to make a LAG.  As I understand things, t pretty
much requires a near shutdown of metabolism to do it.

But that is exactly what hibernating mammals actually do.  (I seem to
remember running across a brief reference to one species of bird being a
hibernator as well - or am I hallucinating).

Another interesting fact I noticed recently: altricial bird chicks are
ectothermic until they acquire feathers.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com