Re: Anything new on Deinocheirus

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Jonathon Woolf wrote:

> Is anything more at all known about _Deinocheirus_?  More material?  A
> better classification?

I think the evidence for the placing Deinocheirus in the Ornithomimosauria
is good.
Which brings me round to some speculation I've been harbouring for some
time. I propose that a complete skeleton of Deinocheirus has been
discovered, it just hasn't been recognised as such.
I am refering to the embryonic skeleton found inside those gigantic
Elongoolithid eggs from China, featured in National Geographic a year or
two ago. The skeleton and eggs were tentatively identified as
theriznosaurid. This would be unusual as definate theriznosaurid embryos
have been found (and pictured in the same issue of Nat. Geo.) inside
rather different looking sphaerical eggs (that look more like sauropod
eggs than those of other coelurosaurs - to throw the cat amongst the
pigeons).
It seems odd to me to find such variation in egg shape in such a small low
diversity group (whose skeletal remains all seem fairly similar). Perhaps
the so called theriznosaur in the elongate eggs was identified on the
basis of its Asian Cretaceous provenance, large size and big clawed arms,
features also found in Deinocheirus.
Feel free to shoot me down.

Cheers

Adam Yates