Re: Anything new on Deinocheirus

Dave L. Hardenbrook wrote:

> At 08:02 AM 1/24/98 -0800, Jonathon Woolf wrote:
> >Is anything more at all known about _Deinocheirus_?  More material?  A
> >better classification?
>
> The Diagram Group's _Dinosaur Data Book_ speculates that _Deinocheirus_
> is a brobdingnagian Ornithomimid, but I don't know how firm the evidence
> actually is...

The evidence for any classification of _Deinocheirus_ is likely to be
thin, since AFAIK all we have of it are the arms and matching
shoulderblades.  The _Data Book_, Lambert's _Ultimate Dinosaur Book_,
and Norman's _Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs_ all agree that the
arms look more like those of an ornithomimid than anything else, but no
known ornithomimid has arms even half that size.  In fact, as far as I
know none of the well-known theropods of _any_ group are big enough to
fit arms two and a half meters long.

-- JSW