Re: LAGS (was feathers, fibers, endothermy...)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Stanley Friesen wrote:
> But that is exactly what hibernating mammals actually do.  (I seem to
> remember running across a brief reference to one species of bird being a
> hibernator as well - or am I hallucinating).

Emus go into torpor.  Their metabolism slows down.  I don't know if this
affects LAGS.

> Another interesting fact I noticed recently: altricial bird chicks are
> ectothermic until they acquire feathers.

And all birds are ectothermic as embryos, meaning that high metabolism in
bird's eggs relative to reptiles is accountable to growth rate and not
intrinsic cellular difference.