Re: If Dinosaurs Could Fly

Matthew Troutman wrote:

>      First of all, let me point out that I did not mean that down ( as a
> whole) is maladaptive. Only as a > single< insulatory pelage in wet
> conditions. Juvenile birds when they do not have sufficient shelter
> ( parent, nest, coop, etc.) are incredibly susceptible to dying of
> hypothermia ( this applies to when they only have down).

Does this apply to ducklings, signets, etc as well? They seem to
swim pretty well. Or is the down of aquatic chicks somehow different?
I would assume that at such an early age they probably don't have the
oil glands of an adult, or perhaps have the preening proceedure down
pat.

        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: