UNSERRATED THEROPOD TEETH

On the presence of unserrated non-premaxillary teeth in theropods,
George wrote..

> Speaking of unserrated teeth, I'm pretty sure the small theropod
> _Archaeornithoides deinosauriscus_ had such.

Unfortunately I don't know the taxa well enough, or have the right
literature to hand, to be sure.. but I know that _Compsognathus_ and
_Ornitholestes_ lack serrations on at least some of their
(non-premaxillary?) teeth. Simple checking of the literature would
confirm/refute this. Of course, _Spinosaurus_, _Irritator_ and
_Angaturama_ all lack serrations on their teeth: one of several weak
characters supporting an affinity between them.

Premaxillary teeth are definitely unserrated in _Ceratosaurus_: in
fact in that genus there are no carinae on these teeth either. The
same may go for other ceratosaurs (I think I recall that
_Coelophysis_ and _Syntarsus_ have unserrated premaxillary teeth),
and I have definitely seen this in some new non-ceratosaurian
theropod taxa.

You people with all the literature to hand as you write are at such
an advantage.

"I never saw any blind-spot when I was driving"
"Well what are you - blind? It's there..."

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk