Euhelopodidae and Mamenchisauridae

Someone on the list mentioned these two families as being synonymous a
little while ago. As I was preparing the latest big update to my dinosaur
web site the other day, I noticed that _Mamenchisaurus_ was named two
years before _Euhelopus_. Assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that the
families based on these genera were named at the same time that the genera
themslves were named, shouldn't the proper name of the family be
Mamenchisauridae?

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages