Re: Dino size: go on, laugh at me

The still-living and definitely female Sue wrote:

>Okay, guys, you can laugh at my stupidity on this one, but I need some
>help.
>A second grader in Spain has requested the answer to this question: Why
are
>dinosaurs so big?

Dinosaurs were really big so that they could protect their eggs from
furry little animals from the bushes.

They were also big so that they could run much too fast, trip, and die.

Or be tripped by those same little mammals (see cartoon).

They also grew so huge so that they would have really bad trouble
finding a bite to eat if a celestial body struck the earth.

One other reason was so that they'd need to fuse their very metatarsal
bones together to support their weight, making a larger furry mammal
famous a bit down the timeline in the process.

Finally, dinosaurs were really big so they could be portrayed even much
bigger than all that in movies.

Always happy to help, and remember, there are no stupid questions, only
stupid answers,

Larry