Re: Dino size: go on, laugh at me

>On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Sue Blakey wrote:
>
>> Okay, guys, you can laugh at my stupidity on this one, but I need some
>> help.
>> A second grader in Spain has requested the answer to this question: Why are
>> dinosaurs so big?

Shouldn't someone point out that not all dinosaurs were really big? Oh,
I've just done that.

As said before on the list, dinosaur get to be as small as a hummingbird,
the smallest possible size for an endotherm (now let's not start those two
hoary chestnuts again). Even among non-avian dinosaurs, there are still a
good number that are smaller than a human. So, while there were some real
whoppers, there were also some pretty puny ones as well and lots of other
sizes in between.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis