Re: PICKERING'S NAME FOR SUE

At 10:44 AM 1/29/98 EST, Dinogeorge wrote:

><<
> (However, his Altispinax lydekkerhueneorum IS more proper in etymological
> terms, although not necessarily in taxonomic terms). >>
>
>This is a junior objective synonym of _Becklespinax altispinax_ (Paul, 1988)
>Olshevsky, 1991.

Are you certain?  I don't know what specimen he is referring to.  Same with
his ?Elaphrosaurus philtippettensis.

(Incidentally, the latter name suggests that it was found on animator Phil
Tippet's person (!), and lends credence to the hypothesis that Pickering is
not quite clear on the use and meaning of certain Latin endings in
biological taxonomy.)

Just to keep people up to speed here:

-orum, for trivial names honoring two or more individuals (not two names, if
they are the name of one individual). (-arum, if all the individuals
concerned are women).

-ensis, for trivial names honoring a place (often the locality or region found).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661