Re: PICKERING'S NAME FOR SUE

In a message dated 98-01-29 11:40:48 EST, th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

<< Are you certain?  I don't know what specimen he is referring to.  Same with
 his ?Elaphrosaurus philtippettensis.>>

Pickering has told me that the type specimen is supposed to be those infamous
three dorsal vertebrae, BMNH R1828. Heaven knows what _E. philtippetensis_ is
supposed to be. I guess we'll all find out whenever he publishes his Welles
Memorial volume.

<< (Incidentally, the latter name suggests that it was found on animator Phil
 Tippet's person (!), and lends credence to the hypothesis that Pickering is
 not quite clear on the use and meaning of certain Latin endings in
 biological taxonomy.) >>

There's quite a lot that Pickering seems to be unclear about...