Re: Megaraptor

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Jim Hemig wrote:

> Any new thoughts on Megaraptor? The last I read (www.giganotosaurus.com)
> was that it's discoverer, Argentine scientist Fernando Novas, claims it
> shouldn't be classified as a dromaeosaurid even though the sickle toe claw
> is similar. Yet, I noticed Mike K has Megaraptor listed as a
> Dromaeosauridae incertae sedis on his web site
> (www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1//dinosaur/index.htm).

Actually, in the new big update I'm preparing, I relocated it to Paraves
incertae sedis, in view of suggestions that it might be the adult form of
_Unenlagia_ (an avialine).

The hyperextendable sickle claw evolved three times -- _Noasaurus_,
Troodontidae, and Paraves (although many birds lost it). The claw of
_Noasaurus_ is different structurally from those of troodontids and
paravians (including dromaeosaurids). I'm assuming that the metatarsal of
"Megaraptor" is not arctometatarsalian, and hence the creature can't be a
troodontid.

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages