Re: Therizinosaur eggs

> Jaime Headden <jaemei@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where the Xixia Basin is? Having trouble finding it in
> the atlas (need a new atlas, mine still says Germany's two countries).
> Sounds Chinese to me. . . . The horizon would help, too.

>From <http://power.beijing.cn.net/bikeserver/CPE/CPE02/CPE0203>:
More than 5,000 dinosaur egg fossils have been recovered from this general
area in China, most of them since 1992.  The eggs have been "found on the
Funiu mountain range of 1,000 square kilometers in the three counties of
Xixia, Neixiang and Xichuan around Nanyang City in Henan Province."

>From <http://dinodata.com/xixia.html>:
"The Xixia Basin is located in western Henan, geomorphologically on the
Qinling Range.  It is an elongated basin with its long axis oriented
NW-SE."  The brief report goes on to describe the strata.  You can also
read an informal account of  someone who accompanied Dr. Philip Currie and
Louie Psihoyos to document some eggs in China.  Fossil dinosaur eggs are
apparently so abundant in the region that they can be found incorporated
into the walls of local dwellings.  May the dragon eggs bless the occupants
with wealth, wisdom, and happiness.

Yahoo turned up 121 sites for "Xixia," so you may be able to find more with
a bit of sleuthing.  A yahoo search on "Macroelongatoolithus" turned up the
Black Hills Institute, which sells some sort of replica egg and nest.  You
may be able to find references to pertinent scientific journals by
searching on "The BFV Online," the Bibliography of Fossil Vertebrates
online, if their database lists recent enough papers.

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>

"Mommy, I can't break out of this stupid egg.  The shell's too thick!"
"I'm sorry, Dear, but I can't hear you through that thick eggshell."