nostrils?

I just picked up that Scientific American with the WHY BIRDS ARE
DINOSAURS article, and while looking at the pictures suddenly wondered
when the surface parts of the nostrils of coelusaurs -on the front end
of the face-moved to the placement seen in birds which is generally just
under and in front of the eyes?

Velociraptor and Deinonychus have the nostrils at the front of the face.
Archeopteryx seems to have them on the end at the front.
Chickens, parrots, hawks, penguins and other modern birds have them
close to the eyes.

When would they have moved?
Between dromosaurids and aves? After?
Why?  To keep bugs from going up the nose during flight?
Is this also seen in pterosaurs?
It seems to be seen in bats (but some of them get so wierd I don't count
all bats into this generalization)

-Betty Cunningham