Re: Third Jurassic Park Movie Coming in 2000

Can you predict impact on target audience 10 or 15 years down the road?
Thought not.
Can you repeat after me: There are half again as many tyrannosaurs
discovered and sold than professionals will ever see. You can! Excellent.
How were all those miasaur eggs discovered? Via a dealer! What's that you
say?
Look. I have 4 degrees from Indiana U and Blacksburg. One isn't in
paleontology, but I've done original work with Smilodon and provided the
Charleston Museum and Carnegie Institute with species of whales that have
yet to be named. I'll use any resource to find a fossil and I know
something about the black market world you just complain about.
Professionals can't keep their heads in the clouds. There is a real world
out there. Speilburg's going to make movies that will lead to a serious
interest in paleontology for some kids down the road and you have about as
much chance of stopping the black market trade in fossils as the Federal
Government has in stopping the drug trade.

Steve

Stephen Faust                   smfaust@edisto.cofc.edu