Re: Interest in dinosaurs

th81@umail.umd.edu wrote:

> So, having now used up what would have been the opening to my memoirs (;-
),
> I question for professionals and fans alike: what got you into dinosaurs?  I
> would particularly like to hear from anyone who can honestly admit they
> didn't have an interest in dinosaurs UNTIL they saw "Jurassic Park" or "JP:
> The Lost World".

In my case it was the Zdenek Burian/Zdenek Spinar 1974 book 'Leven in de
oertijd' (Dutch for "Life before Man"), and even more the pictures inside, that
got
me going. Remember the Brachiosaurus standing in the lake up to its head,
the hunchbacked Tyrannosaurus, Pteranodon throwing fish at its young on a
cliff and the 'thumbs up" Iguanodon? Dino books were rather rare in the
Netherlands then (and still are), and I cannot remember a single birthday that
looked forward to than my seventh which should have brought this wonderful
tome. Imagine the immense disillusionment when my folks presented me with
a brand new bicycle... Had to work for that one.

Also, I quite vividly remember the Dutch translation of Adrian Desmond's The
Hot-blooded Dinosaurs, which must have been the first non-fiction book without
(or virtually without) pictures I read in a single day. Some people have
slighted
this work because of its supposed lack of palaeontological accuracy, but in my
opinion that doesn't give enough credit to the importance it has had in
furthering
the 'dinosaur renaissance'.Certainly the best work I know on 20th-century
dinosaurology.

This was all in the seventies, i.e. obvious pre-JP times. Both books still take
prominent, albeit slightly disintegrating position on my shelves. Reminds me to
have them re-bound.

Ilja

Ilja Nieuwland

   Research Assistant