Re: Will The Real Luis Rey Please Stand Up

Sadly, 'paleo art' has not yet made the same leaps in galleries as
wildlife art.  Illustrations do not generally make the same money as
'fine art'.   Here are some reasons......

1) In a duck stamp artist's work, you can see for yourself the subject
is a duck.  Can dinosaur-fans even come close to a dinosaur art piece
without critiquing it? (the eyes are too low-the jaw isn't right-the
tail is too flexed-I don't like the colors).  Why?  Well there's no
realtime model to compare correctness too like there is for the duck-for
the artist OR the fanboy.

2) A rabid birdwatcher or hunter can be convinced they want to shell out
big bucks for a duck painting or a large painting of a wolf.  The US
goverment has been funding duck stamps which form a fairly prized
section of wildlife art-you can't get a liscence to hunt ducks in the US
without buying a duck stamp, so hunters of ducks are ALL aware of
current art available. Do they want a picture of Caudipteryx?  "hunh?"
you hear them say.  Competition to get to be a duck stamp artist is
fierce-usually for each state's stamp you'll have over 1000 artists
competing.  Can you say the same for dinosaurs?  There was that stamp
series that Gurney did.  That was one painting.  That was commisioned.

3) It is a rare decorator magazine that will try to convinvce you that
what is needed to hang over your sofa is a painting of a fierce
Deinonychus attacking something small and fuzzy, rather than a nice oil
of a bowl of fruit.  Decorators can deal with fruit or maybe a
bunny-it's 'safe'. People that hang art generally do so because it's
'pretty'.

4) The great unwashed do not collect illustrations to hang in the home
or office.  You can still get a real deal on some of the leading
illustrators of the last 200 years and I'm still tallking in the under
$500 range.  If you go for some of the real big names like Wyeth,
Leyendecker, Parrish, or Mucha, you'll be edging closer to the $10,000+
range.  None of which made it big with dinosaurs.  The most succesful
(meaning $$$) dino illustrators I know are succesful as they made it
'outside' of 'paleo art'.  Stout has done album covers, comics, and
art-directed a move.  Gurney has a succesful series of children's
books.  Trcic worked on a movie.  So their work sells better in a
gallery than someone who has not had exposure outside 'paleo art'.

5) dinosaur fanboys, in general, have no money.  Paleontology is a
poorly funded science.  I was appalled when I learned that the video
game I worked on just prior to going to SVP 94 had more spent on it than
the ENTIRE paleontology budget for the whole world that year.  And that
was just one game (that didn't ship).

-Betty Cunningham