Re: Amatuer.

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:11:56 EDT FALCON2426@aol.com writes:
>I have to admit it.  I'm only 15, and I'm a complete amateur.  This is
>a lot
>harder than it looks.  I barely understand the e-mails that come
>through this
>list, and I've been trying to learn just about every word from
>www.dinosauria.com's "Anatomical Dictionary."  But its going any slow.
> Does
>anyone have any advice on what I could do or read to start really
>getting into
>paleontology?

An excellent (and cheap) investment for you would be to buy a good
dictionary of technical terms.  I recommend this little paperback:

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Zoology.  Edited by Michael
Allaby. Oxford University Press, New York.  ISBN 0-19-286093-3.

If you are having trouble following along with the cladistics
discussions, you
are a little more limited as a 15 year-old (there are some fine college
textbooks that discuss cladistics, if you feel up to it).  A better
alternative for you , and if  you want to spend $59 dollars, I recommend
buying the book "The Complete Dinosaur", which has a couple sections
relating to introductory cladistics.
It also has <nearly> the most up-to-date information on all of the groups
of dinosaurs.
                                                        <pb>

bh162@scn.org     bigelowp@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]