Croc's care

On July 2 John Bois wrote:

>Crocs, while they do defend the nest, do not help the eggs in any other
>way after oviposition.  This style is of lay-'em-and-leave-'em is more
>typical of basal reptiles.

Actually many mom crocs hand around and listen for the chirps of the
hatching babies. She then digs them out and meticulously carrys them to the
water in her mouth. Not much help after that but it is not "lay 'em and
leave 'em"

Also some snakes will hang out with their little one for awhile as well. I
don't know how this fits in but couldn't some "primitive"dinos done the croc
thing and worked up from there in regards to their parental involvement.

I have a question related to this: As parental involment increases wouldn't
the number of offspring decrease and the size increase. Instead of having a
bunch of little ones and hoping they make it, having fewer, bigger, stronger
ones and working harder at caring for them longer? Is this seen in the
fossil record or do we just not have enough material for any statistical
evaluations? Or the third possability is I have no clue and should go back
to lurking and dreaming of playing with the big boys someday;-)

                Be kind,   Jennifer R. Kane