Re: Futabasaurus and Ryu

At 11:43 PM 7/3/98 -0600, Richard Travsky wrote:
>>The Japanese are particularly
>> fond of naming vertebrate fossils after localities, as in "Futaba-ryu,"
>> which
>> then translates into English as "Futabasaurus." So there could be both a
>> tyrannosaur and a plesiosaur "Futabasaurus."
>>
>> In karate, ryu, to the best of my limited knowledge of Japanese,
generally means
>> "way";  as in Wado-ryu and Isshin-ryu being the systems or way of the
traditional
>> Japanese karate styles Wado and Isshin.
>
>"Style" or "lineage" come closer to ryu's meaning. "Ryu"/"Lineage" in the
>name almost seems applicable in this context.

Actually, the "ryu" in this case is Japanese for "dragon".  It uses the same
pictogram as the Chinese "long" (same meaning).

"Kyoryu", terrible dragon, is the Japanese word for dinosaur (as in the much
lamented glossy Japanese language dinosaur magazine _Kyoryugaku Saizensen_,
literally "Frontiers of Dinosaurology", but given the shorter English title
"Dino-Frontline").

Incidentally, this is the same word used in the name of a Street Fighter II
character (based on Bruce Lee, aka "The Dragon").  Despite the common
American pronunciation of the word, it is only one syllable long.

Also incidentally, vertebrate paleontologist in Japanese is "kosekitsui
dobutsu gakusha" (ancient vertebrated animal scientist).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661