Willis O'Brien dino films

If you don't want to read about dinosaurs on film, skip the following.  I
am reporting this information in an effort to give proper credit to the two
major pioneers of stop-motion dinosaurs on film.  I am not trying to start
a new thread on the subject.

> Were these "cave man/dino" cartoons Gertie-esque? I've never seen any
> flat cartoons done by Willis, nad have only seen stills of (either his
> or Harrihausen's) primitive man stop-motion project from back before
> whoever-it-was was famous (I'm thinking Harrihausen but I'm not
> sure-memory is the first thing to go)
>
> -Betty Cunningham
>
> Sue Blakey wrote:
>  What was especially neat was the added material at the end that
> > showed stills of some of the footage we know is missing , plus the
movie
> > trailers and the short "cave man/dino" cartoons that Willis O'Brien had
> > previously made.

Willis O'Brien never made a "cartoon" per se, although you would have to
characterize his early stop-motion novelties as intentionally cartoonish,
being apparent predecessors of Allie Oop and Fred Flintstone, but with more
slapstick and not so much talking!  After a clay animation experiment
featuring a boxing match and another short film with a dinosaur and a
caveman, OBie created the following two stop-motion shorts in 1915:
"Morpheus Mike"
"Birth of a Flivver"

Then in 1916:
"RFD 10,000 B.C."
"Prehistoric Poultry" (two versions)
"In the Villain's Power"
"Curious Pets of Our Ancestors"
"Sam Loyd's Famous Puzzles -- the Puzzling Billboard"
"Nippy's Nightmare"

I don't know which of the above films may have been lost, but some of them
have obviously survived, and I have seen a few of them on Don Glut's
"Dinosaur Movies" video.

O'Brien animated more realistic stop-motion dinosaurs in:
"The Ghost of Slumber Mountain" (1919)
"The Lost World" (1925)
"King Kong" (1933)
"Son of Kong" (1933)
"The Animal World" (1955)
"The Giant Behemoth" (1959)
("The Lost World," 1960, OBie supervised, but he was forced to use lizards
instead of stop-motion)

Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion dinosaur work appeared in:
"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" (1953)
"The Animal World" (1955)
"Mysterious Island" (1961) OK, it was a _Phororhacos_, but that is an avian
dinosaur...
"One Million Years B.C." (1966)
"The Valley of Gwangi" (1969)

And I can't resist mentioning Jim Danforth's fine stop-motion work on "When
Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" (1970).  There have been other creators of
stop-motion dinosaurs, but none so influential as O'Brien and Harrryhausen.

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com