Re: illegal fossil sales?

At 14:47 +0000 6/7/98, Michael Schmidt wrote:
>As a commercial fossil dealer I understand the regulations concerning the
>sales of prohibited fossils to a better degree than most academics.
>
>To put it simply, China does a piss-poor job of protecting things.  Yes, it
>is actually punishable by death to remove dino eggs out of China.  Does
>that stop it from happening; no.

Is it really true that the penalty for removing dinosaur eggs specifically,
or any other fossil for that matter, really death?

I find this somewhat hard to believe.  There are relatively few places in
the world where the death penalty is still on the statute books and
the crimes which attract this punishment are almost entirely crimes
against other human beings causing major suffering or death.

---
Derek Tearne.   ---   @URL Internet Consultants  ---  http://url.co.nz
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.