Re: illegal fossil sales?

>From what I garner from Mikes's missive, he does understand the
ethics involved.He points out that scientifically important fossils should
be given or sold to museums and academic institutions exclusively or at
least retained until proper study can be made of specimens by qualified
individuals.Prohibitive fossil laws tend to block such cooperative
efforts.

I must agree with Mike concerning the situation prohibitive laws have
established. If there are no dealers or fossil collectors, most specimens
will be destroyed by nature, or, in South Carolina, at least, by housing
and industrial development.If such laws did not exist, site destruction
probably wouldn't be so commonplace because black market prices wouldn't
have driven markets through the roof. It seems to me that he's simply
trying to point out the realities of life.It would be better for SVP to
work with the collecter and the dealer because they are not going to stop
them.

Steve

Stephen Faust                   smfaust@edisto.cofc.edu