Re: Quaternary Park?

range from guilt through both
>philanthropy and greed[1] to survival[2].
>
>If we can justify attempting to save currently endangered species,
>then all those arguments can be used to justify the resurrection of
>species that we have already hunted/out competed to extinction.
>

>The Takahe is a local bird which is extremely rare.  Most of the
survivors
>are on a couple of Islands which have been made rodent free.  I'm
pretty
>sure there is stored genetic material in various universities.  If some
>ignorant jerk parks their yacht next to one of these islands and loses
>one of their dogs for a couple of hours most of the existing Takahe
>could be history.  Would it be justified to bring these creatures back
>through genetic engineering techniques?  After all it would probably
>cost less to do than the average superyacht would take to build.
>
>I think that yes is pretty clearly the answer.
>
>What about the Tasmanian Tiger, although there have been a few possible
>sightings these are highly likely to have become extinct when the last
>living specimen was killed in 1961 - the year I was born.
>
>I think that yes should be the answer here too.
>
>The New Zealand giant gecko may have still been around less than a
century
>ago, the last examples probably killed by collectors.
>
>A century isn't that much of a stretch really.
>
>And what about the Moa - without question hunted to extinction by
>humans, should we try to bring them back?
>
>Apart from all that resurrecting mammoths would be cool, ditto the
>dodo, moa and the giant gecko and the tasmanian tiger...
>
>Incidentally Elephants aren't particularly endangered.  Indian
Elephants
>are to a large extent domesticated and therefore have a good chance of
>survival.  African Elephants may be pretty thin on the ground over much
of
>west and central Africa, there are however too many of them in parts of
>Southern Africa.

Why dont we clone/geneticly create Spix's Macaws? these rare birds have
been hunted to such an extent that there are only around 40 left in the
world and 2 in the wild (the other 38 are in captivity). I'm sure these
birds who are way closer to extinction than elephants (Heck there's a
TON of elephants compared to thease beauties)....
I think they should attempt to re-create animals that REALLY need help
before we start on Mamuthus, humans, dinosaurs, tigers, poodles and what
not. Most people don't even know about the 'really' endangered
animals-the birds and others whose names don't make the tv even when
their entire current population could be held in my rather small
bedroom.
Save the Spix's.
;-)

Jessica Wagar