Re: Quaternary Park?

At 11:57 PM 7/8/98 -0700, Jaime wrote:
>Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
>
><There's one point I haven't seen brought up yet in this debate -- How
>can an animal like the mammoth, that evolved to live in an ice age
>climate, be expected to survive in a modern climate?>
>
>  The mammoth evolved in a drier, arid climate like central Africa,
>then migrated north, east, and west. Only the species *M. imperator*
>(I believe) managed to don the wooly coat, while the others may have
>been as bare as Indian elephants.

I don't know of any evidence that _M. imperator_ was particularly woolly.
THE woolly mammoth is _M. primigenius_: to my knowledge, it is the only
species known from frozen material.  Hence, this northern latitude species
would be the one to be reconstructed from the frozen sperm.

>From my interpretation of the original posting, the team involved is not
trying to reestablish a viable population for introduction into the wild,
but was instead simply trying to establish if it were possible to revive an
extinct species.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661