No subject? - follwo-up

See below for response

>>> <PTJN@aol.com> 07/09/98 08:03am >>>
ornstn@inforamp.net writes:

<< May I point out that WE evolved in an ice age climate? >>

Not really.  It is true that the _cultural_ identifiers of Homo
sapiens--refined toolmaking, art and regional trade--first appear in early
pre-glacial Europe, but anatomically modern humans are first seen in the
(even
then) warm and dry middle east (and perhaps the southern most tip of
Africa)
about 100,000 years ago.

Wiwaxia sayeth:
Even this is problematic. The fact is the WE evolved in a post-glacial,
post-war period of various levels of stability and chaos.  We are not the
products of a glacial or interglacial period but of ancestors who survived
in one of those conditions and then survived further change. Our
ancestors evolved in a glacial period and their ancestors evolved in an
inter-glacial period and so ad infinitum. Evolution is never finished.  It is
on-going and each generation is subject to all the pressures of drift,
selection (sexual and natural), mutation and recombination in an attempt to
accomodate to the conditions of the ever-slipping away "now."

Wiwaxia