DINOSAUR digest 711

Message text written by INTERNET:dinosaur@usc.edu
><

>GOBI 2010  wrote:

>Who said anything about endothermy?  I just said, "Fuzzy Devonian
>salamanders."  What's so crazy about that?

>P.S. A couple of smooth skinned fossils don't prove much, it seems to me.
>stand by my notion of follicles arising only once.

I don't know much about anything, but is it possible that scales evolved in
order to reduce surface evaporation in early amphibians moving to land?
They had to do this with their eggs, why not skin?

How do amphibians produce their mucous covering? Does their skin have pores
which could have been adpated to produce scales? In other words, does the
means (pores) already exist?

martin