Re: Quaternary Park?

  Yup...primigenius is the one we had here in Alaska.  There were other mammoths
throughout the Lower '48 and I believe imperator was a resident along the west
coast, especially Calif. where it shows up in numerous deposits.  Neither it nor
the Columbian mammoth, which also was to be found in those environs, seemed to
be
particularly hairy. It fell to our high latitude beasties to be so-endowed with
living shag carpetting.
   Since we're talking cold climes, we also had dinos up here (not
contemporaneous
with the mammoths, mind ya..*grin*)  and at the same time had winters where
there
would be extended periods of below-freezing weather, thus pretty much
eliminating
forage for the herbivorous forms.  If they had to migrate to survive, the
predators would have to follow suit, it would seem. That would mean a major
constiuent of the high latitude ecosystem disappearing periodically.  And if
they
didn't migrate, how did they manage the winter?  Moose have a very hard time of
it
keeping their endothermic lifestyle going despite excellent adaptations. They
depend on building great fat reserves in the fall and what very little,
low-nutrition, low-calorie browse they can find.  If a definite endotherm has
such
troubles at just about 3/4's of a ton in mass, what does that auger for
multi-ton
dinos?
...Art, in Alaska....