Re: MORE ON BCF

Matthew Troutman wrote:

> <<In BCF, certain small, primitive archosaurs adopted an arboreal
> lifestyle, perhaps to escape ground-dwelling predators or just to push
> their habitat envelope, and stayed arboreal, becoming ever better
> climbers and, eventually, fliers.>>
>
> Evidence for this, anybody?  I support this model for maniraptorans and
> possibly most maniraptoriforms, but the whole Theropoda?

You know, I'm getting tried of this argument. You must know and relized
that the fossil record is poor for the early to middle Jurassic. This
dosen't mean that they weren't their, just because they haven't been
found. We didn't know of ANY morrison ankylosaurs until the middle
1990's, and those beds have been searched for more than 100 years and
now there's dozen's of them.

And why is it, I've asked this on the list before, that if a skeletal
element that might belong to an non-avian theropod OR an avian-theropod
that it's always placed into the non-avian theropod? Case in point,
Jensen & Padian, 1989, they're going over Jensen's 'birds' Palaeopteryx,
the proximal tibia is refered to either a Deinonychosaur or BIRD, and
BYU 2033, a right femur might be a Deinonychosaur or BIRD!, but everyone
will say it's a Deinonychosaur. I say, lest get some balls here and say
it's a BIRD (or avian-theropod, what ever)!!!

There are Archaeoptryian teeth from the Kimmeridgian of Portugal.

Weigert, Andrea, 1995. Isolierte Zahne von cf. Archaeopteryx sp. Aus dem
Oberen Jura der Kohlengrube Guimarota (Portugal). N. Jb., Geol. Palaont.
Mh, H. 9: 562-576.

And what about ichnology? The forgotten science. There are thousands and
thousands of small theoropod prints from the early Jurassic to the late
Jurassic. With some early Jurassic prints that are so small they'll fit
under a quater. What about the bird (or bird like prints?just forget
them? Not good enough?)

Genus: Taupezia DELAIR, 1963
Etymology: From the Egyptian Tau-cross.

Species: landeri DELAIR, 1963
Etymology: From the quarry.

Holotype: Delair's private collection

Locality: Lander's Quarry at Gallows Gore, Near Langton Matravers,
Dorset, England.

Horizon: Purbeck "Raoch" stone, Late Jurassic.

Material: A single tridactyl footprint.

Gen sp indet

ISHIGAKI, 1985, 1986, 1988

Number:

Locality: Sud d'Azilal, Atlas Mountains, Morocco.

Horizon: Aganane Formation, Pliensbachien, Middle Lias, Early Jurassic.

Material: Bird-like tracks from different localities.

/LOCKLEY unpublished data

Number:

Locality: Utah.

Horizon: Early Jurassic.

Material: Track.

VALENZUELA, GARCIA-RAMOS, SUAREZ de CENTI, 1988

Number:

Locality: Northern Spain.

Horizon: Late Jurassic.

Material:  Bird-like footprints.

And

Family: Trisauropodiscidae LOCKLEY, YANG, MATSUKAWA, FLEMING & LIM, 1992

Genus: Trisauropodiscus ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Species: aviforma ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality: Maphutseng Majakaneng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: Pes prints.

Variete A:, B, C, D, E:

Plesiotypes:

Species: gallilforma ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality: Thejane Maphutseng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: Manus and pes prints.

Species: superaviforma ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality:  Maphutseng Majakaneng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: Pest prints.

Referred material:

Locality:

Locality: Sanary-sur-Mer, France.

Horizon: Hettangien, Late Triassic.

Material:

Species: phassianiforma ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality: Thejane Maphutseng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: Manus and pes prints.

Species: levis ELLENBERGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality: Thejane Maphutseng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: 3 complete and incomplete prints.

Species: popompoi ELLENBEGER, 1970
Etymology:

Holotype:

Locality: Thejane Maphutseng, South Africa.

Horizon: Lower Stormberg Assemblage, Late Triassic.

Material: Complete and incomplete manus and pes prints.

Plesiotype: Fragmentary remains.

Species: moabensis LOCKLEY, YANG, MATSUKAWA, FLEMING & LIM, 1992
Etymology:

Holotype: MWC trackway replica 181.3

Locality: Potash Road Dinosaur Track-site, 7 km southwest of Moab, Utah.

Horizon: Lower part of the Navajo Formation, Early Jurassic.

Material: Small tridactlye footprints.

Lockley, Martin G., S. Y. Yang, Maski Matsukawa, Farley Fleming and S.
K. Lim, 1992. The track record of Mesozoic birds: evidence and
implications. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B, 336: 113-134.

Tracy