Re: Questions

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 08:30 AM 7/10/98 -0500, Jonathan Schmidt wrote:
> >I was wondering how likely it is that "primitive" dinosaurs like
> >Herrasaurus had feathers?(with the discovery of that feathered
> >Dilophosaurus it seems possible that even Marasuchus could have had
> >feathers)

(GIANT snip of a fine description of known material)

> So, at present, we have at present no direct evidence of feathers or
> protofeathers outside of Coelurosauria, and no phylogenetic evidence to
> suggest these structures are present in anything as primitive as
> Herrerasaurus.  This is not to say that new data or revisions of phylogenies
> might not change these results.
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.

If Ornithodira is a true clade (that is, if pterosaurs, lagosuchids, and
dinosaurs belong together) and pterosaurs had "hair-like structures" (see
_Sordes_), then couldn't we say that these hair-like structures might be
(note ambiguity, as Dr. Holtz said, no DIRECT evidence) would be common to
all members of the clade?  This would, of course, require careful
comparison of the filaments in both _Sordes_ and _Sinosauropteryx_ to
either confirm or refute a homology.

Incidentally, I think this has been mentioned before, but no one really
discusses it.  It seems possible though, doesn't it?

Jack