Re: [Re: Sauroponderings]

owner-dinosaur@usc.edu wrote:
>   In watching the many lizards I've had over the years I've noticed most
> tend to drink by lapping at the water with their tongues.  I don't believe
> they use the same "spoon" configuration dogs use but they just sit there
> and lap away until satisfied.  That might be one mechanism.
>   But before answering that, it might be useful to determine how much
> water would the various dinos need? And if they are supporting any form of
> endothermy, how much might that increase their water needs?
> ....Art, in Alaska

I've noticed that lizards of differing species will either lap or suck. The ones
that take their water in from dew and other droplets usually lap it, while the
ones that drink from rivers and lakes suck.

Snakes are suckers too. They will just put their snouts on the drop or water
hole and syphon it up. No need to dowse their entiere
heads in it.

So I don't see why sauropods couldn't do the same.

Archosaur J