Re: [Re: Sauroponderings]

I missed part of this thread due to mail problems, so I hope this
hasn't already been visited...

Elephants don't drink directly.  They pick up water with their trunks
and spray it into their mouths.  This made me wonder if sauropods may
have a more complex mechanism themselves.  The only thing that came
to mind was, if they got a gulp of water, then raised their heads and
let gravity assist the swallowing.  Could their heads even lower enough
to get to water?  The lapping/sucking idea would seem to require a very
good vacuum to get water up through the neck.  Heck, could you even
do it beyond the 32 foot limit by air pressure (that is, 32 feet is
the amount water will raise in a vacuum when subjected to 1 atmosphere
of pressure outside the vacuum).

-Randy

At 04:56 PM 7/10/98, archosaur@usa.net wrote:
>owner-dinosaur@usc.edu wrote:
>>   In watching the many lizards I've had over the years I've noticed most
>> tend to drink by lapping at the water with their tongues.  I don't believe
>> they use the same "spoon" configuration dogs use but they just sit there
>> and lap away until satisfied.  That might be one mechanism.
>>   But before answering that, it might be useful to determine how much
>> water would the various dinos need? And if they are supporting any form of
>> endothermy, how much might that increase their water needs?
>> ....Art, in Alaska
>
>I've noticed that lizards of differing species will either lap or suck.
The ones