Re: Takahe (Rare Flightless New Zealand Bird) on the come-back.

At 21:17 -0700 9/7/98, Phillip Bigelow wrote:
>Nice photo of a beautifully-colored ground bird, (takahe) with an
>accompanying
>story.
>
>See it here:
>http://www.abcnews.com/sections/science/DailyNews/takahe980708.html
>
>ABC science news/Reuters says that the takahe "evolved from the alpine
>rail".

Its closes living relative is the Pukeko.  The Pukeko is a purple looking
moor/swamp hen type thing.  I've never heard one called an alpine rail
before.

I've put a jpeg of pukekos up at http://url.co.nz/derek/pukeko.jpg if
anyone wants to do a comparison.

>If true, it makes a neat before-and-after picture of the evolution to
>flightlessness. I can't tell from the photo if those are hair-like
>feathers on it's torso or fully-formed feathers.

They certainly look like real feathers to me.  I've took a whole load
of Takahe photos a couple of months ago, but I haven't scanned them yet.

If you want to hear the sound of the Takahe check out
http://www.kiwi-wildlife.co.nz/cgi-bin/photo_rotator.cgi/gallery

You'll have to click through three photos to get to the Takahe.

--- Derek

---
Derek Tearne.   ---   @URL Internet Consultants  ---  http://url.co.nz
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.