Re: Sauroponderings - and trunks !

At 10:34 10/07/98 -0700, Randy King wrote:

>Elephants don't drink directly.  They pick up water with their trunks
>and spray it into their mouths.  This made me wonder if sauropods may
>have a more complex mechanism themselves.....

I seem to remember there used to be a theory that brachiosaurs had trunks.
This was postulated as an explanation of why their nostrils are positioned
on the top of the head. I think in those days they were also believed by
some to have been aquatic. What I can't remember is who proposed this -
does anyone know ?