Re: Query about Gargoyleosaurus

In a message dated 7/11/98 11:39:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:
.
>  Somebody announced the recent description of a new genus of dinosaur -
>  Gargoyleosaurus - a few days ago.  I seem to have forgotten to note down
>  the type species.  What is it?

>From my June 25 post:

Subj:    _Gargoyleosaurus parkpini_
Date:   6/25/98 8:37:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   MKIRKALDY@aol.com
Sender: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu
To:     dinosaur@usc.edu

Somewhat buried under the bird/dino publicity is the new Ken Carpenter
Ankylosaur skull which is described in the June 25 Nature issue (paper by
Kenneth Carpenter, Clifford Miles and Karen Cloward ).  The name is
_Gargoyleosaurus parkpini_, and the specimen is from the Upper Jurassic
Morrison Formation of Wyoming.

>From the paper:  "Despite its geological age, the skull shows features
seen in Late Cretaceous ankylosaurs, including fusion of bone armour
to the surface of the skull and mandible and closure of two skull openings,
the antorbital and upper temporal fenestrae."
________

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com
.