Re: SWIMMING SAUROPODS

  Brian is absolutely on target with his comments on this topic. I'm sure Jim
Farlow has many thoughts on this subject also. The problem with interpreting
dinosaur tracks and trackways is that they always end up being Mesozoic
Catch-22's. No matter how YOU interpret them, someone always pops out the
woodwork with ghost prints, underprints, these prints, those prints. There can
be a herd of dinosaurs or just a lot of individuals at different times being
funneled through the area by some feature of the landscape. No matter how well
thought out your scenario for a certain ichnite might be, someone is out
there, waiting to give you a paleontological wedgie.
   Personally, I like R.T.Bird's idea (was it R.T.'s idea?) of a sauropod
waterline with dense bones below and air sacs and lungs above. Like elephants
they probably enjoyed water and I'm not adverse to >>occasionally<< depicting
them like Greg Paul did, or Knight did, for that matter. Those wonderful necks
reflected on the water in a sunset still make for a beautiful image. Dan
Varner.